Inverness, FL – 12.16.2006
The winner of this match gets a shot at Roderick Strong’s FIP Championship. All the other matches tonight will be determined by the order of eliminations.
Order of Entry
1. Davey Richards
3. Austin Aries
4. Seth Delay
5. Gran Akuma
7. Larry Sweeney
8. Bryan Danielson
9. Jerrelle Clark
10. Colt Cabana
11. Erick Stevens
Order of Elimination
1. Austin Aries eliminated by Delirious. They worked together since they are both members of DP Associates, but Delirious suddenly decided to throw Aries over the top rope.
2. Delirious eliminated himself. Aries was angry at being eliminated, so he decided to ring the the bell which caused Delirious to go nuts and jump over the top rope and to the floor. Aries then pulls out of DP (Associates).
3. Davey Richards is eliminated by Danielson. He tossed Richards fairly easily upon entering the ring.
4. Gran Akuma is eliminated by Larry Sweeney. Danielson gave Sweeney the assist by whipping Akuma to the ropes where Sweeney was standing. Sweeney backdropped Akuma to the floor.
5. Seth Delay is eliminated by Sweeney and Danielson. The two men decided to keep teaming after their success of eliminating Akuma, and sent Delay out with a tandem throw.
6. Jerrelle Clark is eliminated by a double Atomic Drop from Sweeney and Danielson.
7. Bryan Danielson is eliminated from Cabana’s Bionic Elbow.
8. Erick Stevens is eliminated by Larry Sweeney with an assist from Cabana. Stevens, Hallowicked and Cabana were all attacking Sweeney against the ropes. Sweeney dropped down the top rope to send Stevens to apron. Cabana bumped Sweeney into Stevens, sending him to the floor.
9. Colt Cabana is eliminated by Larry Sweeney shortly after Stevens’ elimination.
10. Larry Sweeney is eliminated by Hallowicked, making Hallowicked the winner of the 2006 Florida Rumble at 17:54. He will face Roderick Strong in the main event for the FIP Championship. Sweeney was tossed over the top rope. Although Sweeney made it to the apron with help from the ropes, Hallowicked yakuza kicked him to the floor. That had some fun moments and did a good job in setting up the rest of the card. I’m interested to see how Hallowicked and Strong work together. ***
Strong tells Hallowicked that he’s going to give him an ass whoopin’ later on tonight. The weird thing is, Davey Richards comes out right after and Strong says he will get his shot at his title on Friday. Well awesome, that makes Hallowicked’s shot seem totally worthless.
Larry Sweeney vs. Colt Cabana
The Heartbreak Express (Phil & Sean Davis) and Lacey are in Sweeney’s corner. Sweeney stalls in the beginning. Cabana threatens to punch Sweeney in the buttocks while Sweeney’s in the ropes but does not do so. Cabana humiliates Sweeney by taking out his leg and going after his crotch. Sweeney puts on a nerve hold but Cabana tickles Sweeney to free himself. He tickles Bryce too. He elevates Sweeney into the air by his feet and drops him into a bodyscissors. Cabana has some trouble releasing a leg submission when Sweeney gets the ropes. Thankfully Bryce is able to help out. The Heartbreak Express grab Cabana’s legs from the floor. Even though Cabana throws their heads together, it allows Sweeney to Hot Shot Cabana when he turns around. Sweeney gets two after a punch from Phil and a couple fist drops. Cabana do-si-do’s Bryce so he can roll-up Sweeney for two. He hits the Flying Asshole and a diving clothesline for another two count. Sweeney tries to bail but fails. The Heartbreak Express hit the apron. Bryce is distracted and Lacey gives Cabana a low blow. Sweeney hits the 12 Large Elbow for the pin at 11:56. Sweeney’s routing is such a perfect fit for this Southern crowd. This was a nice throwback to that style of match with some humorous moments, but was slow in spots. **1/2
Gran Akuma vs. Davey Richards
Richards kicks Akuma in the shoulder to escape a wristlock. He catches Akuma coming off the ropes with an overhead suplex. He kicks Akuma to the mat and gets two with a belly-to-back suplex. Richards does some damage to his back before applying a headscissors. Akuma blocks some strikes but gets his legs swept out. Richards drives Akuma’s arm across his shoulder three times. Akuma blocks a suplex and throws some chest kicks. He drives Richards’s knees into the mat before swiftly kicking him in the side of the head for a two count. Richards stuns Akuma with a chinbreaker. Akuma though blocks a DR Driver by applying a standing Octopus Stretch. Richards makes it to the ropes. He superplexes Akuma, though Richards’ head hits the mat as well. Richards headscissors him to the corner and follows in with a forearm. Akuma kicks out of a Northern Lights suplex. Akuma throws some kicks to Richards’s chest and legs. Richards ducks a clothesline and DDT’s Akuma into the 14:50, Akuma taps out at 8:24. Akuma looks a lot more crisp and on point when he’s with guys whose styles are similar to his. We saw that with Low Ki in the TPI, and now this match. He served as a great foil for Richards, and although it was obvious Richards was winning, Akuma asserted his dominance at earned a spot on the roster from this performance. ***
Roderick Strong (Champion) vs. Hallowicked
Strong controls Hallowicked by his arm until he gets backed to the corner. Strong chops his back. Hallowicked hops over him and bars his arm after an armdrag. He armdrags Strong twice more after that, even though Strong tries to outsmart him. Hallowicked tries a slingshot sunset flip but gets caught with a backbreaker. Strong chokes him on the barricades outside the ring. He throws a beverage on Hallowicked before throwing him back in the ring and getting two with an elbow drop. Strong puts on a legged full nelson and then delivers a suplex. He gets two with a slingshot suplex. Hallowicked throws some chops. Strong cut him off with a kick to the face. Strong ties up Hallowicked’s legs and puts on a hammerlock while wrapping his own leg around Hallowicked’s neck. Strong turns that into a crucifix pin for two. Strong stretches him out again. Hallowicked sneaks in a neckbreaker to give himself some recovery time. He throws some chops and takes Strong down with a step-up Frankensteiner. Strong catches him going to the top rope. Hallowicked shoves him off and hits a Swanton Bomb for two. Strong gives him a neckbreaker, enzuigiri, and a backbreaker but Hallowicked still manages to kick out. Hallowicked gets a few quick pins attempts in to no avail. Strong German suplexes him into the corner. He Sick Kicks him in the side of the head for two. Hallowicked blocks the Tiger Driver and gets two with a Rydeen Bomb. He calls for the Graveyard Smash. Strong blocks it with Death by Roderick. He hits the Tiger Driver for the pin at 12:24. I don’t think Hallowicked got nearly enough offense in the beginning, but given that it was his debut weekend and it was blatantly obvious that Strong was winning I can let it slide somewhat. If there was more of a story to this match rather than just dropping bombs on each other it would have been better. Despite all of that, I still had a good time watching this. ***